Field Visits to Scholars’ Homes
64 Scholars’ Homes in Krishna, Medak and Karimnagar districts were visited between January and March 2007. A photo album of all places visited speaks for itself. Findings of this study are similar to those of the earlier study.
- Almost all scholars are first generation learners.
- Some parents know to read and write but are engaged in semi-skilled or unskilled work.
- Most of the parents are marginal farmers, labourers, tailors, weavers, taxi/auto drivers, mechanics, masons, petty traders, etc.
- They are mostly engaged on casual basis with no regular incomes.
- Very few of them are doing clerical jobs and that too in private places with meagre incomes.
- Most siblings of BREAD scholars appear to be equally good in studies.